It’s dinner time and I face what is a daily struggle. What can I prepare that will satiate my husband and myself, and that the kids will eat. To be specific, what Sebby will eat. Quincy will eat anything.
One of the biggest is challenges too is that so many recipes serve 4-6 people (as in 4-6 adults) and the portions are huge. This is probably why one of our biggest go-tos is pasta. It’s quick and easy, and for the post part, the kids enjoy it, and the best part? Most of the recipes can be portioned down so it’s appropriate for our family. Because a more appropriate dish size for us is 2.5 servings. Plus, some days Alan and the kids get home later than normal.
So, what’s for dinner?
We’ve been eating A LOT of pasta lately, so I wanted to with something light for dinner. Barilla is our go to brand for pastas and sauces. They have a great variety and it’s really affordable too! Barilla has this really simple Lemon Spagetti recipe in their new The Modern Family Pasta Cookbook and luckily, I had all of the ingredients on hand so I didn’t have to go to the store.
I cut the recipe in half, and it ended up being the perfect portion for our family. It was a big hit with everyone, well, Sebby, he had cheese….
I added the last of the tomatos from our summer garden for color and flavor and it was the perfect family meal!
World Pasta Day
Today, October 25, 2013 is World Pasta Day, so please help Barilla donate to Feeding America and receive a download of the cookbook and a $1 off and Barilla pasta or sauce coupon (while supplies last) by going to the “Share a Hug” tab on the Barilla Facebook page.
Share a Hug, Connect with Barilla on Facebook.
Things to think about…
Increasingly hectic lives make at-home meal preparation more challenging than ever BUT it’s still important:
- 88% of parents are reliant upon multi-tasking each day and more than half (58%) say their life is more hectic now, than a year ago.
- While families are making time for dinner, Two-in-five meal-preparers agree it is difficult to find time to prepare dinner in their household.
- They don’t want to miss enjoying a home cooked meal with their family as they worry the alternative will offer poor nutritional content (74%) and they will miss out on family time at the table (65%).
Leading contributors to a hectic lifestyle, making meal-planning and preparation a challenge:
1) Work 2) Household chores 3) Errands 4) Kids’ after school activities 5) Kids’ homework
Pasta provides the perfect meal solution for time-limited households:
- Pasta is recognized by parents and non-parents as a tasty (88%) and easy (87%) meal option and one that can be prepared using on-hand ingredients from a pantry (82%).
- Other benefits of pasta that help alleviate chaotic schedules include that it is versatile (52%), a quick go-to meal (51%) and allows for multitasking while it’s cooking (44%).
Disclosure: I participated in a campaign on behalf of Mom Central Consulting for Barilla. I received product samples to facilitate my review and a promotional item as a thank-you for participating